Applications for Summer 2024 are currently open!
Submit your application via the Leadership Alliance SR-EIP portal and are due 2/1/2024. See additional information below.
Our Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site (PI: Corey O’Hern; Co-PI: Doro Noble) enables undergraduates interested in pursuing a career in the sciences to conduct interdisciplinary research at Yale for a 10-week period during the summer. Our program focuses on research at the intersection of biology, physics, and engineering and serves as a glimpse of what graduate school at a large research institutions is like.
The REU features a series of workshops, which combine group exercises with short periods of lecturing and discussions, to complement the research experience participants obtain in individual laboratories. The workshops help students develop strong communication skills, briefly explore scientific ethics, and help participants learn about the graduate application process and the difference between a PhD and an MD/PhD. REU participants are provided with the opportunity to present their research to the Yale community, both as an oral and as a poster presentation. Finally, there are several opportunities for REU students to interact with graduate students and postdocs at Yale. We have some social activities in place for students to help them enjoy the weekends and integrate into Yale’s campus and New Haven easily; however, this is not the focus of our program. Instead, we do provide participants with information on nearby recreational areas and points of interest.
This REU Site is closely linked with Yale’s Integrated Graduate Program in Physical and Engineering Biology (PEB), and as such, hosts REU students in the laboratories of PEB affiliated faculty. You can find a list of affiliated faculty here.
Details of the research program
- The program for 2024 will run Tuesday, May 28 - Friday, Aug 2.
- The program provides financial support of $7,000 for the 10-week period. In addition, it will cover travel expenses up to $600 and provide a food allowance and free room and board on Yale’s campus.
- Students will be involved in a variety of enrichment/professional development activities. These include a series of workshops covering laboratory procedures, documenting laboratory results, delivering compelling presentations, and discussing scientific ethics and the process of applying to graduate school, career development meetings and seminars.
- Students will be able to showcase their research through a power point presentation halfway through, and a poster session towards the end, as part of an undergraduate research symposium.
- Research will be balanced with some social activities, such as a welcoming picnic and a visit to Yale’s Outdoor Education Center. Some social activities will be held in conjunction with other summer undergaduate research programs at Yale.
- Selected students will be matched with PEB affiliated faculty advisors based on research interests, prior research experiences, and available openings. No prior research experience required, rising sophomores are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply (Open Now!)
Applications will be accepted through the Leadership Alliance SR-EIP portal. Applications are currently open!
Please select Yale University as your number one choice in institution. In your personal statement, please describe the area of research you’re interested in. You may also mention 2-3 affiliated faculty members you might be interested in working with.
Applications are due February 1, 2024.
Eligibility: you must be a permanent resident or a US citizen to apply, you must have health insurance, and you must be enrolled at an undergraduate institution the summer of your internship.
Click here to view the faculty affiliated with the program.
For questions about the fellowship e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
We have developed strong partnerships with Connecticut College, the University of Maryland, Baltimore County’s Meyerhoff Scholars Program and the Univeristy of Puerto Rico Mayagüez, but applicants from non-partner institutions are also welcome.